The tour suspended Australian player Nick Kyrgios for the rest of the season to serve as an example to other athletes.
Kyrgios gave up at the Shanghai Masters last week, showing little to no effort, losing straight sets 3-6, 1-6.
Kygrios not only dinked his serve in and barely tapped his returns over the net, he also yelled at people in the stands and the chair umpire.
Now Kyrgios been suspended for eight weeks
"I think that was the right decision by the tour," said Tennis analysts Patrick McEnroe. "He could be a Grand Slam champion if he gets his act together.:
The ATP decided they'd reduce the suspension if the tennis star sees a sports psychologist and it could still give him a chance to start next year at the Australian Open.
Kygrios was also fined yesterday $25,000 fine for conduct detrimental to the game.
The ATP says the 21-year-old Kyrgios will be suspended for eight weeks through Jan. 15 - a day before the start of the Australian Open. However, it says the suspension will be reduced to three weeks if Kyrgios agrees to enter "a plan of care under the direction of a sports psychologist or an equivalent plan approved by the ATP." That means he would eligible to return on Nov. 7.
"He needs to understand that there are consequences for his actions. We need to understand that this guy needs some help," said McEnroe.
Kyrgrios is ranked 12 in the world. He has since apologized to fans.
Not good enough today on many levels, I'm better than that. I can go on about excuses but there are none. Sorry #StillAWorkInProgress ????— Nicholas Kyrgios (@NickKyrgios) October 12, 2016