Police in Canada are conducting a massive manhunt, searching for a man suspected in a shooting that killed three officers and left two others injured.
Royal Canadian Mounted Police Constable Damien Theriault said police responded to a call Wednesday about an armed man in the north end of the city of Moncton, in the east coast province of New Brunswick, at 7:30 p.m. Three of the responding officers were killed and two sustained non-life threatening injuries and were in stable condition.
"We are still actively looking for the shooter," Theriault said. "He is believed to still be in the Pinehurst subdivision area of Moncton. We are urging people in that area to stay inside and lock their doors and for people to stay away from that area."
Police say they were looking for Justin Bourque, 24. The police force shared an image of a suspect wearing military camouflage and wielding two guns.
Following the shooting, police closed off nearby roads, trying to find the suspect.
Residents huddled in fear, staying inside their homes.
Local businesses were forced to lock their doors.
Police shared updates online, urging residents not to share information about the police operation over social media.
Moncton Mayor George LeBlanc advised residents to pay strict attention to the RCMP warnings.
"It is a terrible tragedy," he said. "We as a city must pull together as a family to support those who have suffered losses."
Such violence is rare in Canada, particularly on Canada's East Coast. Theriault said the city of Moncton didn't have a homicide last year or this year until Wednesday evening.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Massive Manhunt for Suspect After 3 Officers Killed in Canada