• BREAKING NEWS ABC7 Morning News -- WATCH LIVE HERE
  • BREAKING NEWS Flash flood emergency issued for Houston area. WATCH LIVE coverage from our sister station KTRK

Faulty wiring blamed for fire in Healdsburg high school gym roof

Firefighters have knocked down a two-alarm fire that burned the Healdsburg High School gymnasium.
Faulty electrical wiring in an exterior light caused a small fire in the roof of a gymnasium at Healdsburg High School early Tuesday morning, Healdsburg Fire Chief Steven Adams said.

A smoke detector inside the Smith Robinson Gym triggered an alarm that alerted the fire department around 3 a.m., Adams said.

The fire burned a 20-by-25-foot area in one corner of the roof. Firefighters put salvage covering on the gym floor and the blaze was extinguished within 30 minutes, Adams said.

A second alarm was called because of the size of the gym and as a precaution, he said.

School principal Chris Vanden Heuvel said there was some water damage to the gym floor and a volleyball game scheduled for tonight has been relocated to the gym at a junior high school a few blocks away. The Smith Robinson Gym and locker rooms closed after the fire.

There also is a smaller gym on the high school campus at 1024 Prince Ave. where gym classes are held, Vanden Heuvel said.
Related Topics:
news fire Healdsburg
(Copyright 2015 by Bay City News, Inc. Republication, re-transmission or reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. Is prohibited.)

Load Comments