SAN JOSE, Calif. --Two residents and a firefighter suffered minor injuries in a one-alarm fire Sunday morning that left a San Jose home uninhabitable, a fire captain said.
Crews were dispatched around 7:45 a.m. to a home on Rockway Drive where they saw heavy fire in a garage that had spread to the home's living space, according to San Jose fire Capt. Reggie Williams.
A family of four was able to escape the blaze but two of the residents suffered minor burns and smoke inhalation and were sent to a local burn center for treatment, Williams said.
A firefighter also suffered a minor burn while fighting the fire and was treated at the scene and released.
Fire crews had the blaze under control around 9:50 a.m., Williams said.
The blaze caused major damage to the home, leaving the four residents without a home. The American Red Cross was on scene Sunday morning to provide housing assistance.
Williams said the fire appears to have been caused by a cooking appliance left on in the home's garage and is considered accidental.