TAFT, Calif. (KGO) --A dog in Southern California is alive and has a pit bull mix named Piddle to thank for it.
The dog, named Nina, was rushed to the vet in the Kern County town of Taft after eating squirrel poison.
Veterinarian George Ross knew the only way to save Nina was by performing a dog-to-dog blood transfusion, but he had to act fast because her lungs were filling with blood.
First, Ross needed a donor dog and then permission from its owner to do the procedure. He chose Piddle, who was being boarded at his hospital and called Piddle's owner.
"I asked, 'Would it be dangerous?' and she said no, but she said, 'We are going to have to give him, he's going to have to be sedated,' and I said he could probably use a little anesthesia as hyper as he is," owner Kanoe Bandy said.
Piddle pounced back quickly after the transfusion and so did Nina. She's back at her family's ranch and doing very well.