The locations closing are in Oakley, Dublin, Livermore, Durant Square in Oakland, Albany, Berkeley, Dixon, and Vallejo.
"We have had to make a difficult decision for economic reasons," said Mike Keenan, president and CEO of Goodwill Industries of the Greater East Bay. "Our employees are our first priority and we will continue to do everything we can to support them at this difficult time and fulfill the Goodwill mission in our remaining stores and facilities."
RELATED: Coronavirus impact: Some Bay Area Goodwill thrift stores may never reopen
The nonprofit organization said the laid off workers "will receive a separation package that will include one week of pay, a month of health benefits, and individual career services including: resume development and assistance, mock interviews, job search and potential placements, and assistance applying for EDD benefits."
Revenue from sales of donated goods at its stores are used to provide jobs for vulnerable members of the community, Goodwill said.
The organization provides no-cost training, employment placement services and support services to those in need, 'including people with disabilities, people impacted by the criminal justice system, people who are unemployed or underemployed, veterans and military families, older workers, and young adults," it said in a news release.
"But because our stores have been shut down for most of the last year due to the pandemic, it has created a tremendous fiscal challenge and we must make a challenging business decision in order to sustain mission services," Goodwill said.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- How to register for COVID-19 vaccine in every Bay Area county
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- VIDEO: When will I get the COVID-19 vaccine? We explain who goes 1st
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- How are Chinatown businesses surviving? Here's what we found
- From COVID-19 to Black Lives Matter, these 13 people defined the Bay Area in 2020
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic