RELATED: Who's Who in Hillsborough Heiress murder case
The case quickly turned into a homicide investigation, with SWAT teams raiding ex-girlfriend Li's Hillsborough mansion. She and her current boyfriend Kaveh Bayat were arrested for Green's murder. A third suspect, mixed martial arts fighter Olivier Adella, was also taken into custody at his Burlingame apartment.
Here is a timeline of all events related to Keith Green's murder case and the case's many twists and turns:
- Oct. 2015: Keith Green and his girlfriend Tiffany Li had a bitter break-up. He refused to sign her mutual separation agreement.
- April 28, 2016: Green was last seen at Millbrae Pancake House. He went there intending to meet with Li and work out a custody issue.
- April 29, 2016: A hiker found Green's cellphone at Golden Gate Park in San Francisco.
- May 11, 2016: Green's body was found at a field near Geyserville in Sonoma County with single bullet wound through neck.
- May 18, 2016: Officials announce Green is the victim of a homicide after he's identified through dental records.
- May 20, 2016: Olivier Adella is taken into custody at his Burlingame apartment as a suspect in Green's murder.
- May 21, 2016: A SWAT team raids the Hillsborough home where they arrest Li and Kaveh Bayat in connection with Green's murder.
- May 24, 2016: Li, Bayat, and Adella are charged with murdering Green.
- May 26, 2016: Green and Li's two children are removed from their Hillsborough home. Green's mother says she fears for the safety of her granddaughters.
- May 27, 2016: Li's mother goes to a Redwood City courthouse to fight for grandchildren. A judge denied a motion to reverse the protection order.
- April 4, 2017: Li posts $60 million in property for bail. Her lawyer says it's the eighth highest ever made in the country in state court.
- April 6, 2017: Li released after posting unprecedented bail.
- Nov. 3, 2017: Adella speaks exclusively with ABC7 News I-Team reporter Dan Noyes, says he wants to make a deal with prosecutors.
- Feb. 22, 2018: Adella cuts a deal with prosecutors that will result in them potentially dropping the murder charge against him in exchange for his truthful testimony against Li and Bayat.
- Aug. 15, 2018: Trial delayed until 2019.
- Sept. 26, 2018: Trial delayed due to Tiffany Li's cancer diagnosis.
- Oct. 5, 2018: Man accused in high-profile Hillsborough murder case to be released from custody
- Sept. 12, 2019: 1st day of trial with Hillsborough heiress Tiffany Li starts with opening statement delays
- Sept. 16, 2019: Star witness has plea deal revoked in Keith Green murder trial
- Sept. 23, 2019: Prosecution and defense present opening statements. The prosecution says Li lured Green to her Hillsborough mansion where he was shot by Bayat. The defense told jurors that Green was killed in the course of a kidnapping orchestrated by Olivier Adella, the prosecution's former star witness.
- Sept. 25, 2019: Jurors in the murder case against the Hillsborough heiress accused of killing the father of her children heard horrific details of the crime. The panel was shown crime scene photos of the badly decomposed body of Keith Green in a field near Healdsburg, in Sonoma County in May 2016. Two of Green's supporters wept as the photos were shown.
- Oct. 10, 2019: The prosecution rested its case after playing an audio tape of detectives first informing Li that Green was found dead. San Mateo County Sheriff Sgt. John Carroll described her as "emotionless" but on cross examination, he agreed that her voice changed to a more somber tone after getting the news.
- Oct. 23, 2019: Closing arguments started Wednesday in a sensational Hillsborough murder case. Charged with the killing, the daughter of a rich family from China and her boyfriend. The victim: Her former lover and father of her two children.
- Nov. 13, 2019: A judge in the murder case against a wealthy Peninsula woman accused of killing the father of her two children denied a defense motion Wednesday to declare a mistrial.
- Nov. 15, 2019: A jury has found Hillsborough heiress Tiffany Li not guilty for the murder of Keith Green. A hung jury was declared in the case against Li's boyfriend, Kaveh Bayat.
- Dec. 19, 2019: Kaveh Bayat will not be retried for the killing of a father of two in 2016. Bayat and his ex-girlfriend, Hillsborough real estate heiress Tiffany Li, were charged with the murder of Keith Green.
- Dec. 19, 2019: A look of shock and disbelief fell on the faces of two of the jurors in the murder case against Tiffany Li and Kaveh Bayat. It was a half hour before a minute-long hearing that would result in freedom for Bayat who, along with Li, had been accused of killing Keith Green, the father of Li's two children. Two jurors tell us they regret the verdicts, "I just think there are two murderers who are free today."
Click here for full coverage on the investigation into the death of Millbrae father Keith Green.