There were few changes in the Top 25 as the only four ranked teams that lost did so to other ranked teams.
The top teams held their spots, led by No. 1 Alabama. The Crimson Tide received 50 first-place votes. No. 2 Ohio State was followed by Louisville, Michigan, Clemson, Houston and Stanford.
Wisconsin moved up three spot after dominating Michigan State 30-6. Texas A&M moved up a spot to No. 9.
LSU (2-2), which started the season No. 5, joined Notre Dame as preseason top-10 teams to fall out of the poll.
- Wisconsin has its best ranking since October 2011 when the Badgers reached No. 4.
- No. 16 Mississippi made the biggest jump of the week, seven spots after a 45-14 victory against Georgia.
- No. 11 Tennessee and No. 13 Baylor each moved up three spots.
- No. 15 Nebraska moved up five spots.
- No. 18 Utah jumped six spots.
- No. 17 Michigan State dropped nine spots from No. 8.
- No. 25 Georgia dropped 13 spots from No. 12.
- No. 24 Boise State is ranked for the first time since Oct. 11, 2015, giving the Mountain West two teams in the Top 25.
- No. 20 TCU is back in the rankings after falling out two weeks ago.
- Oklahoma (1-2), which was No. 25 last week, fell out of the rankings during an off week. The Sooners are unranked for the first time since the end of the 2014 season.
SEC -- 7
Big Ten -- 55
ACC -- 44
Big 12 -- 33
Pac-12 -- 3
Mountain West 2
American -- 1
RANKED vs. RANKED
No. 3 Louisville at No. 5 Clemson. The Heisman front-runner (Lamar Jackson) vs. the preseason favorite (Deshaun Watson).
No. 8 Wisconsin at No. 4 Michigan. Teams have not met since 2010.
No. 7 Stanford at No. 10 Washington, Friday. First top-10 matchup in the Pac-12 this season.
No. 11 Tennessee at No. 25 Georgia. Volunteers can put vice grip on the SEC East.
AP college football website: collegefootball.ap.org
Follow Ralph D. Russo at www.Twitter.com/ralphDrussoAP
Badgers, Vols climb AP Top 25 after statement wins
Wisconsin joins the top 10 of the AP poll after dominating Michigan State in East Lansing. Tennessee is rewarded with a three-spot bump after beating Florida for the first time since 2004.