RELATED: 'Remember Her' A tribute to Nia Wilson
Police say the 18-year-old was stabbed to death during an unprovoked attack at the MacArthur BART station on July 22.
Hathaway shared a picture of Wilson on her Instagram account, along with a message.
"The murder of Nia Wilson- may she rest in the power and peace she was denied here- is unspeakable AND MUST NOT be met with silence. She is not a hash tag; she was a black woman and she was murdered in cold blood by a white man. White people- including me, including you- must take into the marrow of our privileged bones the truth that ALL black people fear for their lives DAILY in America and have done so for GENERATIONS. White people DO NOT have equivalence for this fear of violence. Given those givens, we must ask our (white)selves- how "decent" are we really? Not in our intent, but in our actions? In our lack of action? Peace and prayers and JUSTICE for Nia and the Wilson family," wrote Hathaway.
RELATED: Celebrities share grief, sorrow for BART stabbing victim Nia Wilson
Alameda County District Attorney Nancy O'Malley said authorities continue to investigate whether John Cowell, 27, was motivated by racial hate when he killed Nia Wilson, 18, and wounded her sister, Letifah Wilson, 26.
The women are black and he is white.
VIDEO: Heartbroken father demands justice after double stabbing at Oakland BART station
Having sat down with the victims' family, this is the worst time in their life, O'Malley said.
Go here for full coverage on the stabbing at Oakland's MacArthur BART station that took the life of 18-year-old Nia Wilson.
CONTINUING COVERAGE ON DEADLY BART STABBING:
- What we know about deadly stabbing at Oakland's MacArthur BART station
- 'Remember Her' A tribute to Nia Wilson
- Celebrities share grief, sorrow for BART stabbing victim Nia Wilson
- Here's how you can help the family of BART stabbing victim Nia Wilson
- Chilling dispatch call describes terrifying fatal MacArthur BART stabbing
- 'He was wiping off his knife': BART stabbing victim recalls horrific attack that killed sister
- Heartbroken father demands justice after daughter stabbed at BART station
- 'Stand down': BART stabbing victim's godfather makes plea to black community
- TIPS: How to stay safe on BART
- Bart releases info on pair of homicides