"At that point everything seemed fairly normal and we had just come off the field in front of thousands of fans in Surprise against the Rangers," Kapler recalls. "Then things started to unfold, very, very quickly and all of us around the industry started to get focused less on baseball and much more on keeping society healthy."
RELATED: San Francisco Giants' Hunter Pence, wife Lexi share how they're sheltering in place
Kapler is doing his part following the recommended health guidelines.
Thanks to @SFGiants manager @gabekapler for joining us on the #WithAuthority podcast today. Full video/audio podcast coming soon. Hear from Gabe tonight at 4, 6 & 11 on @abc7newsbayarea ➡️ https://t.co/06Z3wMy5Il #ABC7Now #SFGiants pic.twitter.com/Q6MqxBy2uy— Chris Alvarez (@CAlvarezABC7) April 1, 2020
"Part of being responsible here is practicing social distancing. Considering ourselves asymptomatic carriers and staying at home as much as possible," Kapler said.
RELATED: 'It's humbling': Gabe Kapler becomes new manager of San Francisco Giants
When asked about baseball's potential return and a possible newfound appreciate for the game, Kapler said he believes he will excited to return back to the ballpark.
Thanks to @SFGiants manager @gabekapler for hopping on the #WithAuthority podcast today with @LarryBeilABC7 @CaseyPrattABC7 & myself. We covered everything -- inside baseball, food, #TigerKing and my baseball card. More tonight at 4, 6 & 11 #ABC7Now pic.twitter.com/Px4qcxM9fS— Chris Alvarez (@CAlvarezABC7) April 1, 2020
"I do think that people are really going to appreciate the things that make their life rich. I think baseball is one of those things. Both for people in the industry, coaches, managers, players and definitely the fans. I think when the times comes and we are able to get back on the field, I think we are all going to appreciate the game a little more and I think we are all looking forward to that," said Kapler.
WATCH: Full interview with Giants manager Gabe Kapler
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US,around the world
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Coronavirus and the new normal of livingin the San Francisco-Bay Area -- COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour goes virtual as people try to be sociable while social distancing during COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Here's why you should practice 'social distancing'
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during the coronavirus shelter-in-place
- ABC7's drive around San Francisco shows empty streets, businesses shuttered
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- Coronavirus in CA: Get resources and information about COVID-19
- Bay Area school closures related to coronavirus pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- How coronavirus compares with the flu
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Busting COVID-19 coronavirus myths: Facts from the Centers for Disease Control
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19