This is SFO, COVID-19 style.
As one sign says, "Welcome to San Francisco."
"Stay healthy with six feet of space," warns another, as if that is going to be an issue.
On an average day, SFO sees roughly 150,000 passengers coming and going.
With COVID-19? 4,000.
Those who remain are not very sociable.
"Can you share some details about your flying experience?" we asked one.
"No," said the man who never broke stride.
"Feel like talking?" we asked another.
If you're one of those people who always felt that crowds when traveling tend to make us feel isolated, this is the opposite, and it feels even more lonely.
Baggage claim resembles purgatory.
No slamming of bags. No pushing or jostling.
It is an existential experience.
"Eerie," said a flight attendant. "It's bad."
And yet, this is what COVID-19 has dealt us; a long, singular moment in which history unfolds with every passing day.
As an optimist, however, I'll take heart from a half-inflated helium balloon we found bouncing on the floor behind a massive and empty check-in counter.
"Welcome," it reads.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US,around the world
- Coronavirus data: See how the curve of COVID-19 cases is bending in each Bay Area county
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: ABC7's interactive town hall 'Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation'
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Coronavirus and the new normal of livingin the San Francisco-Bay Area -- COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour goes virtual as people try to be sociable while social distancing during COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Here's why you should practice 'social distancing'
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during the coronavirus shelter-in-place
- ABC7's drive around San Francisco shows empty streets, businesses shuttered
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19