Located in San Francisco's Outer Richmond, Cassava restaurant has switched from taking pick up orders to completely closing without a take-out option. Owner Yuka Ioroi chose to board up her space in an effort to save lives.
COVID-19 DIARIES: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
"We saw that it's getting dangerous because people are getting complacent," said Ioroi. "We thought it was time to shut these things down, so we are creating one less reason for people to come out for something that's not urgent."
Ioroi expressed that, while California is making strides to stop infection, it is too soon for self-congratulation. "We closed the restaurant, yes to protect the staff, but to make the statement that this is not the time to relax," said Ioroi.
Today, Ioroi focuses on providing food to people in desperate need through two meal programs, Feeding the Industry and Outer Richmond Meal Help. Between these projects, Cassava continues to serve the community.
Watch the video above to hear more about the effect of COVID-19 on local restaurants.
COVID-19 Diaries is an ABC7 Originals limited series that shares the personal stories of Bay Area people as we work together to cope with coronavirus and re-define what it means to live in the San Francisco Bay Area.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here. Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- INTERACTIVE TIMELINE: How close was CA to becoming a NY-level crisis?
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- How California's COVID-19 cases stack up against other hot spot states
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on Asian American community
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on African American community
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions