SAN FRANCISCO - The San Francisco Marathon is returning for its 40th anniversary on Sunday. The event will host more than 27,000 people running and significant delays in traffic are expected along parts of the 26.2-mile course. Detours and closures start at 12:01 a.m.
Golden Gate Bridge
All northbound lanes of the Golden Gate Bridge will be closed from 6 a.m. until 9 a.m.
General public transportation:
Many SF Muni lines are impacted by the event, with reroutes and delays. Click here for more information.
Impact on San Francisco neighborhoods and suggested detours:
The Embarcadero - 12:01 a.m. to 2:45 p.m.
- Northbound Embarcadero/King St. will be closed from 3rd Street to Broadway
- Southbound Embarcadero will be closed from Broadway to Harrison.
Fisherman's Wharf - 5 a.m. to 7:30 a.m.
On Jefferson Street between Northpoint and Hyde, no vehicles will be allowed.
Golden Gate Bridge Roadway northbound lanes - 1 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- Northbound traffic: from 1 a.m. to 10 a.m., expect delays crossing the Golden Gate Bridge
- Northbound traffic: from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m., all northbound traffic will be closed across the Golden Gate Bridge. Vehicles should use the Bay Bridge to the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge instead.
- Northbound traffic will resume by 9 a.m. The entire roadway will return to normal operation by 10 a.m.
Golden Gate Bridge Roadway southbound lanes - 1 a.m. to 10 a.m.
Southbound traffic: from 1 a.m. to 10 a.m., expect delays crossing the Golden Gate Bridge. There will be southbound traffic lanes open at all times.
Golden Gate Bridge exit and parking area - 12 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- The last northbound San Francisco exit, off Doyle Drive and just before the toll plaza, will be closed from midnight to 10 a.m.
- The southeast parking lot will also be closed from midnight to 10 a.m.
- The first southbound exit after the toll plaza onto Merchant Road will have no access beyond the toll plaza itself and no access into the Presidio from midnight to 10 a.m.
- Vista Point exit (northeast side) and the Vista Point parking lot will be closed from midnight to 10 a.m.
Presidio and Golden Gate National Recreation Area - 12 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- From midnight to 10 a.m., there will be no access to the Golden Gate Bridge through the Presidio
- Lincoln Blvd. and all intersections onto Lincoln Blvd. from the 25th Ave. gate to Lendrum Ct. will be closed from 4:30 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- Baker Beach residents may enter and exit the housing areas via the service road from Battery Caulfield. Traffic will be allowed access and egress from Brooks Court and Baker Court via Lincoln Blvd.
- Mason Street and all intersections onto Mason Street will be closed from the Marina Gate to Crissy Field Ave. from 4:30 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- Crissy Field Avenue will be closed from 4:30 a.m. to 10 a.m.
Richmond District - 6 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- Eastbound and westbound vehicle traffic should expect delays at 26th Ave. and 27th Ave.
- 26th and 27th Avenues from Fulton Street to Lake Street closed to through traffic. Cross traffic will be allowed intermittently on California, Clement, Geary, Balboa or Cabrillo. Expect significant delays.
- Residents west of 27th Avenue are encouraged to use the Great Highway
Sunset and Richmond Districts - 6 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- North and south access through Golden Gate Park should use Great Highway, Kezar or 19th Avenue/Park Presidio. Expect significant delays.
- In Golden Gate Park, southbound Crossover Dr., JFK Dr. from Great Highway to Kezar, MLK Jr. Way from Lincoln to Crossover Dr., Transverse Dr. and Stow Lake Dr. will be closed from 5 a.m. to approx. 11:30 a.m.
Upper Haight Street - 6:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- North and south access across Upper Haight Street should use Kezar Drive (from or to Lincoln off Oak and Fell). Expect significant delays.
Lower Haight Street - 6:30 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.
- North and south access across Lower Haight Street should use Steiner or Fillmore. Expect significant delays.
Market Street - 6:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Westbound and eastbound travel on, and access to, Market Street at Duboce Ave. and Guerrero Street should expect significant delays.
Mission and Potrero Districts: 15th, 16th, & 17th streets - 6:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Northbound and southbound traffic needing to cross over 15th, 16th, and 17th streets should use Highway 280 or Highway 101 whenever possible. Crossovers are also available at some city streets where significant delays should be expected: Valencia, South Van Ness, Folsom, Bryant, or Potrero Street.
Third Street Detour - 7 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Impacted between 20th and 23rd Streets.
- Southbound traffic should use westbound 20th Street overpass to southbound Pennsylvania Street to eastbound 23rd Street to Third Street. Northbound traffic should use Cesar Chavez to northbound Pennsylvania Street to eastbound 20th Street to Third Street. Expect significant delays.
South Beach area - 7 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Terry Francois Blvd. will be closed.
Detour Information for the SF Giants Game Day
- If you are going to the Giants game on July 23rd, please check out these detour routes that will help you get there.
- NB 280 Mariposa St. Exit: North bound vehicles taking the Mariposa St. exit will be directed Westbound on Mariposa St. to Southbound Pennsylvania where they can take 18th St. or 20th St. Westbound to Northbound 3rd St. to Lot A or the Ballpark by crossing the 3rd St. Bridge.
- SB 280 Mariposa St. Exit: South bound vehicles taking the Mariposa St. exit to head Southbound on Pennsylvania where they can take 18th St.or 20th St. Westbound to Northbound 3rd St. to Lot A or the Ballpark by crossing the 3rd St. Bridge.
- NB 280 Cesar Chavez exit: Northbound Vehicles to go Eastbound on Cesar Chavez and Northbound on Indiana St. to Westbound 23rd St andthen Northbound on Pennsylvania, from here vehicles to head Westbound on 20th St. or 18th St. to Northbound 3rdSt. to Lot A or the Ballpark by crossing the 3rd St. Bridge.
- SB 280 Cesar Chavez exit: Northbound Vehicles to go Northbound on Pennsylvania St. Eastbound on 20th St. or 18th St. to Northbound 3rd St.to Lot A or the Ballpark by crossing the 3rd St. Bridge.
- Staff and player and team access: Northbound King St. is blocked between 3rd St. and 2nd St. from 5:00 am until approximately 12:30 pm. The SanFrancisco Marathon Staff will be at the intersections of these road closures ready to let any and all game daypersonnel and players in.
Click here to view the Race Day detour map.
Click here for a detour map of Embarcadero and Downtown San Francisco.
Click here for Giants Game Day suggested detour routes.