The Justin Herman Plaza along the Embarcadero is filled with arts and crafts and food, but come Wednesday, it will the be a designated protest area for the Olympic torch run. One of groups protesting, The Bay Area Darfur Coalition, say they'll have a thousand members holding signs on the torch route. The coalition wants so bring attention to Darfur's relations to the Sudanese government and the violence in Darfur.
However, some Chinese leaders in San Francisco feel the Olympics should not be politicize had and are offended by the protests.
"It has nothing to do with it and it should be outside of politics," says Mel Lee of the Lee Family Association.
"It's a sign of respect to China, that we recognize it as world superpower, who has the influence to end a genocide and We're asking them to use it," says Martina Knee of the S.F. Bay Area Darfur Coalition.
Many famous faces are expected to take part, including Richard Gere and Mia Farrow. San Francisco is the only U.S. city that will be hosting an Olympic torch run.
Olympic Torch Relay Route through San Francisco:
- McCovey Cove northbound to Third Street
- Third Street to the Embarcadero
- The Embarcadero to Jefferson Street
- Jefferson Street to Hyde Street
- Hyde Street to Beach Street
- Beach Street to Polk Street
- Polk Street to Bay Street
- Bay Street back to the Embarcadero
- The Embarcadero to Justin Herman Plaza for a concluding ceremony