Salad of Local Asparagus
with Truffle Poached Egg and Banyuls Vinaigrette
- Blanch tops of asparagus in salted boiling water for 3-4 minutes (depending on its size). Remove and shock asparagus in iced water. Dry and set aside.
- Slice bottoms of asparagus thinly with a very sharp knife or peeler and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, add the shallots, Dijon mustard, thyme leaves and Banyuls vinegar. Whisk together and slowly add truffle oil, then grape seed oil to form emulsion. Season with sea salt and pepper
- Lay out pieces of plastic wrap and brush them with duck fat evenly. Sprinkle with even amounts of chopped truffle. Next Sprinkle a bit of sea salt and black pepper. Crack one egg onto each piece of seasoned plastic wrap one at a time, lightly seasoning again with a bit of salt and pepper. Cinch top of plastic up around the egg letting all air escape, then tie the top with butchers twine making sure all corners are together.
- Bring 6 cups of water to a simmer. Carefully drop eggs in one at a time and let simmer slowly for 4-5 minutes to soft poach.
- While eggs poach, mix asparagus tops with about 1/3 of the vinaigrette and arrange evenly on four plates. Then toss frisse, and shaved asparagus with remaining vinaigrette and place on top of tips. Season with a bit of sea salt.
- Take poached eggs from the water, snip tops of the plastic to expose eggs and gently place onto the tops of each salad.
1250 Jones St.
San Francisco, CA 94109