Costco spokesman John Booth said the crews are getting rid of goods that were damaged in the 4 a.m. fire at the store, located at 1601 Colman Ave.
Booth did not know when the cleanup would be finished. "We're doing fine over here," Booth said. "I don't have a hard date for when (the store) will reopen but I assure you it will be as soon as possible."
Santa Clara fire officials said an electrical malfunction most likely caused the fire, which started in a freezer that stores all types of frozen foods.
"It was a large industrial freezer. It's like 30 feet wide, 100 feet long, with those sliding glass doors," acting fire Battalion Chief Tom Evans said.
The fire was confined to the freezer but a glass door cracked and smoke filled the 200,000-square-foot warehouse, fire Battalion Chief John Scanlon said.
An employee who was arriving to start a shift reported the fire.
"It was potentially a very, very dangerous fire because it is such a large warehouse," Scanlon said. "In the past, firefighters have gotten lost inside these types of buildings and gotten killed."
The fire was controlled by 4:45 a.m. and no injuries were reported.