End Hunger Now
Together ABC7 and Safeway are partnering together to End Hunger Now. More than 170 Safeway stores in 11 counties will have food barrels outside the stores. Food banks are especially interested in non-perishable items such as: rice, cereal, tuna, canned soup and peanut butter. You can purchase an extra item and place it in the barrels located in the front of the store.
In addition, you have the option to donate money at the cash register when they check-out. These donations will make a significant difference to families who are struggling this holiday season. Together we can help people put food on the table during tough economic times.
To contact the local food bank please call: 1/800-870-FOOD.
Here is a list of urgently needed food items: (non-perishables only)
- Peanut Butter
- Tuna (and other foods high in protein)
- Juice Containers
- Canned Fruit
- Canned Vegetables
NO GLASS CONTAINERS PLEASE!
THANKSGIVING FOOD DRIVE:
Donate $250 or more and get YOUR NAME announced in the 6:00 p.m. News! Contact your local food bank with a minimum donation of $250, which provides at least 25 Thanksgiving meals to needy families. Thanksgiving Food Drive donors will be announced in the weeks leading up to and through Thanksgiving. Find your local food bank by visiting www.bayareahunger.org or calling 1-800-870-FOOD (3663).
According to the California Budget Project and 2007 Federal Register:
- The national poverty threshold for a family of four is an annual income of $20,650.
- Bay area numbers are startling. A Bay Area family with two working parents and two children must earn at least $70,000 just to make ends meet.
- This compares to a statewide average of $58,000.
According to California Food Policy Advocates:
- Nearly 400,000 children in the Bay Area are eligible for the Summer Food Service Program.
- These are kids who participate in subsidized school lunch programs during the academic year.
- Sadly, only 20 percent sign up for the free summer lunches because so few know about the program.