Recipe: Sausage pinwheels
- 1 can store bought biscuit dough
- 1 16oz. sausage roll
- 1 cup flour
1. Sprinkle a little flour onto your work area.
2. Pop open the can of biscuits and begin to spread the dough out evenly. The idea is to combine all the individual biscuits together to form one big dough ball. You will want to use a rolling pin to make sure you create a thin layer of dough much like when you make pie dough. If your dough begins to pull apart you will want to just pinch it back together. You will want to shape your dough into a square. You will need to use a knife to cut away the edges to form the square shape.
3. After the dough is rolled out evenly and in the square shape it is time to put the sausage on top.
4. I like Jimmy Dean's Hot sausage but any sausage will do. Start spreading out the sausage on top of the dough. Be sure to spread the sausage out thinly. Once the dough is covered it is time to roll.
5. Taking the top edge you will want to begin rolling the biscuit dough and sausage from the top to bottom much like a sushi roll or a fruit roll-up.
6. Once rolled you will want to take a sharp knife and snip off the ends. You'll want to make a nice cut and remove any excess dough. Next, wrap it in plastic wrap. Here, I like to sprinkle a little flour on the plastic wrap before I put the sausage biscuit dough roll on it. The flour will make it easier to remove later. You can use it immediately or freeze it overnight.
7. If you freeze it overnight, make sure you let it thaw for about 30 minutes before you slice into it.
8. Begin to slice the roll into a quarter of an inch little rings. Now you can see how the sides look like Pinwheels.
9. Place the little sausage biscuit pinwheels on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 12 to 14 minutes. When the biscuit dough begins to brown and the sausage sizzles they are ready. You might want to flip them halfway through the cooking just to make sure they don't stick and to make sure they cook evenly.
10. You can substitute sausage with ham and cheese. Make sure you use sliced cheese instead of shredded cheese (the shredded cheese will fall apart).