Vietnamese Minced Beef Lettuce Rolls With Lime Soy Dipping Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon peanut oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons Vietnamese fish sauce (nuoc nam)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sriracha chile sauce (optional)
- 1/4 cup finely sliced green onion
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 Cloves minced Garlic
- 12-16 leaves red or green leafy lettuce
- ½ cup roasted peanuts
- thinly sliced English cucumber
- Cilantro leaves
- Basil leaves
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and ginger and cook for 5 minutes until soft. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Increase heat to medium high. Stir in the beef and break into small pieces. Combine to cook and stir fro 3-5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
- Stir in the fish sauce, brown sugar and optional chile sauce and cook stir for 5 minutes. If meat sticks to the pan add a little water and scrape up any browned bits. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer meat to a warmed serving bowl.
- To eat, spoon some of the meat mixture into the center of a lettuce leaf, sprinkle with peanuts and any remaining garnishes. Roll up and dip into the dipping sauce as you enjoy each lettuce roll.
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Vietnamese fish Sauce (nouc nam)
- 1 Tablespoon sugar or more to taste
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Taste and add more sugar. If too pungent, dilute with more water. Divide dipping sauce among small bowls so each guest has their own.