'TASTE' SUMMER TOMATO GAZPACHO
(makes 4 cups)
- 1/2 English Cucumber
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 3 lbs ripe 'Taste' tomatoes
- 1 t sugar
- ¼ cup fruity red wine
- 1 T minced garlic
- 2 t kosher salt
- 1 t freshly ground black pepper
- ½ t smoked Spanish paprika
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 2 T nice red wine vinegar
- 4 T Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 oz expensive extra virgin olive oil
- Peel, remove seeds, and roughly chop the English cucumber.
- Using a paring knife, make a small 'X' in the bottom of each tomato. Remove the core. Peel the 'Taste' tomatoes by dropping the tomatoes in boiling water for 20 seconds and then shocking in ice water. The peel should come off easily. Halve the tomatoes and squeeze gently to remove the seeds.
- Mix the first 5 ingredients and push through a food mill with small holes. (A blender can be used, but you will not get the same traditional texture as you would if you force the ingredients through a food mill.)
- Place the minced garlic on a cutting board. Add the salt, pepper, and paprika. Smash the garlic with the side of a knife to form a paste. Add the olive oil at this point to facilitate this process.
- Place the garlic paste into a bowl and slowly stir in the tomato mixture. Add the red wine vinegar and parsley to finish. Adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Float the reserved olive oil on the surface of the soup right before serving.