Sniper ends standoff in Pleasant Hill


MOST POPULAR: Video, stories and more
CRIME MAPS: Track crime in your neighborhood
SIGN-UP: Get breaking news sent to you from ABC7 News

Neighbors were told to stay indoors after an armed man began firing a gun from a house. It all ended around 4:30 p.m. with a bullet from a sniper's rifle.

The suspect had exchanged gunfire with police several times through the day, so police took advantage of an opportunity they felt they had to take. The incident started around 11:00 Sunday morning when the police say the suspect shot his friend during an argument inside the suspect's home on Audrey Street.

The friend was taken to a hospital. Police say when they tried to make contact with the suspect, he fired at them. An armored car plowed through a neigbor's fence and snipers took up positions as police tossed flash bangs and tear gas into the home.

A small group of neighbors and reporters were assembled on the corner not far away from the scene when a burst of gunfire exchange had everyone diving for cover.

"Everybody dropped to the ground and ran back another 200, 300 feet, and then, we all stood back up. Police came out about 30 seconds later and said we had to fall back out," said witness Luke Rockwell.

"He came out into the back yard after having fired numerous rounds at officers, after tear gas had been inserted into the home. He came into the back yard with an assault rifle, presented a threat to the officers on the perimeter and one round was fired by a perimeter unit," said Lt. Dan Conelly.

A man claiming to be the suspect's cousin told ABC7 the suspect's name is Renardo Flores. He said he does maintenance work in San Ramon.

The evacuation has been lifted and neighbors were allowed back into their homes after nearly six hours. Contra Costa Boulevard was finally reopened around 5:00 p.m.

       Today's latest headlines | ABC7 News on your phone
Follow us on Twitter | Fan us on Facebook | Get our free widget

Copyright © 2023 KGO-TV. All Rights Reserved.