Breaded pork cutlets with arugula and capers
- 1 pound organic pork tenderloin, cut into ½"-medallions
- Sea salt to taste
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 2 whole eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs, fine textured
- ½ cup pure olive oil
- 1 bunch fresh arugula, cleaned
- 2 Tablespoons capers, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 ½ Tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 oz. chunk of fresh Reggiano Parmesan cheese
- Prepare the pork by pounding it firmly with a kitchen mallot on each side to tenderize and flatten to 1/8-inch thick. A wooden board works best to absorb the impact. Do not over pound or the cutlet will be too thin, and consequently, a little dry.
- When each medallion is ready, lightly salt & pepper each side.
- Dredge each cutlet in the flour, then egg, and then breadcrumbs.
- In a heavy bottom pan or cast iron skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Saute the cutlets till lightly browned on each side. Cooking time is about 2 minutes per side.
- When each cutlet is done remove from pan and drain on towels to absorb any cooking oil.
- To make the vinaigrette combine the sherry vinegar, chopped caper, and olive oil in a small bowl, blend well, and season with salt.
- In a salad bowl toss the arugula with the vinaigrette and season with a pinch of salt.
- Place sautéed cutlets on plates and add the dressed arugula salad.
- With a peeler shave a few pieces of parmesan on top.
2534 Mission Street
San Francisco CA 94110
About John Clark:
Gayle Pirie and John Clark are two highly original talents who have been deeply involved in the competitive and innovative ferment of the San Francisco restaurant scene for over two decades. Long standing tenures at Zuni Cafe and Chez Panisse earned them critical approval for the purity, quality and consistency of their cuisine.
Pirie and Clark then developed a restaurant consulting practice to create restaurant concepts and designs for a diverse and adventurous set of clients in North America, Asia, and Canada. They spent nearly two years in Hong Kong developing two new restaurants, and have traveled widely in Europe and Asia researching locally produced and artisanal ingredients.
In 2001 the duo took over the kitchen of Foreign Cinema and implemented an ever changing Mediterranean influenced menu and full oyster bar, earning the restaurant three stars from the San Francisco Chronicle and ten consecutive "Top 100" rankings. They have also received rave reviews from the New York Times, Gourmet, Cosmopolitan, San Francisco Examiner, SF Weekly, and San Francisco magazine. Inspired by their love of hot dogs, Pirie and Clark opened Show Dogs in downtown San Francisco in 2009.
Specializing in gourmet hot dogs and sausages, Show Dogs offers a simple menu of locally made artisan hot dogs complemented by house made condiments and local beer and wines. In addition to Foreign Cinema and their new venture Show Dogs, Pirie and Clark have published two cookbooks, Country Egg, City Egg in 2000 and reprinted in 2008 by popular demand, and Bride and Groom, published in 2006.
Pirie and Clark live in Berkeley with their two children, Magnus and Pearl.
STREETSMART4KIDS is a not-for-profit organization that leads an annual six-week campaign for preventing teen homelessness in San Francisco. Our goal is to raise $85,000 between October 1 and November 15. The donations will support three outstanding community organizations that help at-risk and homeless teens get their lives back on the road to stability.
Because we are an all-volunteer organization, with minimal expense and no administrative fees, every dollar we collect goes directly to help kids at Huckleberry Youth Programs, La Casa de las Madres and Larkin Street Youth Services. These fine organizations serve young children and teens. The agencies are grateful for our past support and eager for all the help we can give now.
For More information on "Dine Out and donate" go to streetsmart4kids.org