Hawaiian ono with cauliflower cuscus and nante carrot-harissa puree
Feeds 4 people
- 4 each organic nante carrots medium chop
- 2 cups nante carrot juice
- 1 each re bell pepper medium chop
- 1 each sweet onion medium chop
- 6 each cloves of garlic mince
- 1 each dried cayenne chili remove stems and seeds keep whole
- 1 tbl cumin seed lightly toast and grind
- 1 tbl coriander seed lightly toast and grind
- 1 tbl fennel seed lightly toast and grind
- 1 each cylone cinnamon stick keep whole
- 1 tbl ras al hanout (Moroccan spice mix) lightly toast and grind
- in a non reactive sauce pot combine all ingredients.
- bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Let simmer uncovered until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- puree in a blender until ultra smooth texture. Season with salt and pepper. Reserve to plate the dish.
- 1 each head of purple cauliflower shave just the tips (as seen on the show)
- 1 each head of green cauliflower shave just the tips (as seen on the show)
- 1 each head of cheddar cauliflower shave just the tips (as seen on the show)
- 1 each head of white cauliflower shave just the tips (as seen on the show)
- 1/4 cup of golden raisins plump raisins by soaking in hot apple juice for 1/2 an hour
- 1/8 cup of kalamata olives rough chop coarse
- 1/4 cup of almonds chop course for texture
- 1/8 cup of sweet onions small dice
- 1/8 cup of fennel small dice
- 1/8 cup of celery small dice
- 1/8 cup carrot small dice
- 1/8 cup of turnip small dice
- 1 each bunch cilantro chopped fine
- Extra virgin olive oil as needed
- Butter as needed
- Into a mixing bowl shave all the cauliflower heads as seen on the show. The goal is to just cut off the tips of the flowers so it looks like couscous. Reserve for later.
- Dice the carrots,fennel,onion,celery and turnips. In a sauté pan sauté all the vegetables until tender of medium heat with a small amount of olive oil. Season to taste. Let cool to room temperature.
- To cook the "couscous" heat a large sauté pan over medium heat with a little extra virgin olive oil and butter. First add the almonds ant toast until they have a nutty aroma. Next add the raisins and olives. Stir to combine sauté 30 seconds. Next add the mire poix (onion,carrot,celery,fennel and turnip mixture) continue to sauté for 30 seconds. Last add the shaved cauliflower and sauté until "couscous" is tender.
- Season with salt, pepper chopped cilantro and lemon juice to taste.
- Reserve covered to keep warm until fish is cooked.
- 4 each 5oz portions of ono or your favorite fish if you have a trust worthy fish monger let them portion.
- 4 tbl olive oil to sear.
- 4 tbl butter to baste fish before plating.
- Heat a large enough sauté pan to fit all four fish over medium high heat (if you only have a small pan cook each piece of fish individually in a smaller pan)
- Season all sides of the fish with sea salt and cracked pepper
- Add enough oil to pan so fish will not stick (1 tbl per fish should be enough)
- Gently place the fish in hot oil as not to splash (be careful)
- Let fish sear on first side about 3-4 minutes or until it has released from the pan naturally and is golden brown and crispy
- Repeat above for remaining sides of the fish
- Reduce the heat to medium low and add the butter. Baste the fish with the butter for 1-2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat remove the fish let rest 2 minutes and slice.
- Have fun and be creative.
- Make sure carrot puree is hot and seasoned as well as the couscous.
- Have enough puree per plate as to enjoy with each bite of fish (try not to over sauce, guests can always have a little more) Be creative and try some different plating combos and garnishes.
2700 Mission College Blvd
Santa Clara, CA 95054