Women sometimes find themselves in a fashion spiral…a hole they cannot seem to climb out of easily. One key to looking your best is to know your body type -- Learn the right styles for your shape and size to have a wardrobe that you feel confident in. When you feel totally at ease, you will wear those pieces often.
Here are some general rules to use in balancing your figure and using the right proportion:
- Focus on Your Assets
- Put patterns, color, prints and/or texture on the smaller parts of your body.
- Don't Waste the Waist - if you have a waist, show it with fitted tops and jackets.
- If you have a round waist, focus on your thinner legs and bottom.
- A statement necklace which is the right scale for your size and shape puts the emphasis on your face.
- When your legs show, match your shoe color to your leg -- Wearing nude or even silver metallic or gold metallic shoes elongates your legs.
- Avoid wearing loose pieces on the top and bottom-if one is loose, the other should be slim fitting.
- Balance larger hips - if your hips are larger than your shoulders, wear strong shoulders in jackets as well as V-neck and wide scoop neck tops - styles that make your shoulders appear wider for balance.
About Orene Kearn: Orene Kearn Image and Wardrobe Consulting, based in Hillsborough, CA, offers strategic dressing for both women and men no matter what their body type challenges. Utilizing her strong sense of balance and proportion, clothing designs and fashion knowledge, Orene assists clients in the development of their unique personal style, while building a wardrobe to suit their individual needs and enhance their self-confidence. Clients have used Orene to look just right for work, interviews, dating, special occasions, and everyday living.
Image consulting is a second profession. Prior to launching her image business, Orene had a successful career in law for over 15 years, specializing in the areas of estate planning and probate, wills, trusts and general tax law at some of California's leading law firms. As the only professional certified image consultant with a law background in the Bay Area, she says that there is a definite correlation between these two careers: "Practicing law in the highly sensitive areas of estate planning and trusts--and working one-on-one with individuals needing help with image and wardrobe--require one to have developed distinct psychological interpersonal skills and experience." She stresses that issues concerning self-image and body type are often at the heart of all personal image work.
A J.D. graduate of Hastings College of the Law in San Francisco in 1981, she earned her professional certification in image consulting and is a member of the Association of Image Consultants International (AICI). Currently, she serves as the San Francisco Bay Area Chapter's Vice President of Marketing.
In an Image Assessment, Orene meets one-on-one with clients and assesses their body type, coloring and bone structure and his or her personality, lifestyle, outlook and goals. In a closet audit, Orene checks for pieces that don't fit, need alterations or just don't work anymore, and sorts items into various categories. Then, Orene makes a shopping game plan. Orene offers a Personal Shopping session to help create new outfits fill in missing pieces and establish a stylish core wardrobe. For a complete list of Orene's services, see www.orene.net.