Lamb shank with bacon and black beans
- 8 shanks about 12 to 14 oz each of Lamb shanks
- 1 lb. Black beans
- 2 lbs. chopped 1 1/2 inch pieces Bacon wood smoked
- 2 lbs. Onions peeled
- 4 lbs. Tomatoes peeled and seeded
- 1 7oz can chile chipotle adobado (is a small can of chile chipotle adobado that can be bought in most markets)
- 2 cloves Fresh garlic
- 1 Tbsp. Salt
- (Oil to start cooking bacon optional 2 tabs)
- 4 quarts, Water to cook beans
- 1 large pan, 12 to 15 quarts for cooking all ingredients
- Clean and wash beans put in pot with 4 quarts of water. Add 2 garlic heads to beans and boil beans (medium heat). Remove after 20 minutes and set aside.
- Cook bacon until crisp, remove from pan and remove most of the fat
- Brown the lamb shanks, remove and brown onions, cook until translucent. Then add the tomatoes and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add cilantro and 1/2 of the chili chipotle (for medium hot, or whole can for spicy). Add to this, bacon, shanks and partially cooked beans.
- Let ingredients boil for at least 10 minutes. Reduce heat and cover pan. Let it cook for 1 hour (to 1 hour 20 minutes) stirring at times.
- When beans and lamb are done, add salt diluted in a small amount of water.
About Gabriel Fregoso:
Chef/owner Gabriel Fregoso hails from the town of Cuautla, population approximately 1,500, in the west-central coastal state of Jalisco, Mexico.
Gabriel inherited the family's traditional flair for cooking from his mother, Señora María de Jesús Soltero Fregoso, and his grandmother, both terrific cooks themselves.
In 1976 Gabriel came to Marin County and started work at the Lark Creek Inn in Larkspur. There he began training under Basque chef Pierre Joris for two years, working his way up to the position of cook.
In 1978 Las Camelias opened its doors, with a cuisine based on Gabriel's mother's and grandmother's recipes, his previous two years' training, and his own inventiveness and artistry. Las Camelias, now in its 27th year, embodies this continually unfolding expression of restaurateur as artist.
Las Camelias was named as one of the San Francisco Bay Area's Top 100 Restaurants (by Michael Bauer in the SF Chronicle) for three consecutive years. It was also awarded "Best Mexican Restaurant in Marin" five different years by the Pacific Sun.
912 Lincoln Avenue
San Rafael, CA 94901
Phone: (415) 453-5850