But if you're not quite as sustainable or biodegradable as you'd like to be -- here are some things you don't have to do to be good to the planet!
To be good to your planet you don't have to:
- You don't have to always buy organic (Instead: Eat seasonal and local food. Buy organic for dirty dozen, but not for clean 15. Try to waste less food.)
- You don't have to be a vegetarian (Instead: Cut back. Eat smaller portions. Meatless Mondays. Replace red meat with chicken twice a week. Etc.)
- You don't have to buy a hybrid (Instead: Don't idle. Take good care of car you have. Buy a small fuel-efficient car. Carpool. Telecommute once a week.)
- You don't have to invest in solar panels (Instead: Buy green power from your utility. Save energy at home by doing x, y, and z.)
- You don't have to buy green products (Instead: Cut back on consumption. Freecycle. Borrow. Etc.)
About Erin Carlson:
As Director of Yahoo! for Good, the company's Social Responsibility department, Erin Carlson's job is to inspire Yahoo!'s audience of over 500 million people to be more "green" in their daily lives through use of Yahoo! products. She holds a BA in Human Biology/Environmental Management from Stanford University and an MBA from the University of California at Berkeley.