Makes 8 Servings
- 1 tsp. Coarse Salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 lb. Fresh Spinach Leaves, washed and drained
- 1 Cup Cornmeal
- 3 Cups Buttermilk
- 3 Large Eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp. Freshly Ground White Pepper, plus more to taste
- 3 tbsp. Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1/8 tsp. Nutmeg
- 1 Head Garlic, roasted
- Vegetable Spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bring a small pot of water to a boil and add 1/2 teaspoon salt and the spinach. When spimnach wilts, drain in a colander and run cold water over spinach until it is completely cool.
- Whisk together cornmeal, buttermilk, egg yolks, the reamining 1/2 teaspoon salt, baking soda, white pepper, butter, nutmeg, and roasted garlic.
- In a clean, dry bowl, using an electirc hand mixer, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into cornmeal mixture.
- Spray a 2-quart baking dishwith vegetable spary and add spoonbrad batter. Bake spoonbread 30 minutes, or until lightly browned on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Cut the top off the head of garlic, and place both pieces on foil.
- Mix 1 teaspoon water and 1/2 teaspoon olive oil, and drizzle over garlic.
- Sprinkle with coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Close foil and roast 1 hour or until garlic cloves ooze from their papery skins. Squeeze out the roasted garlic and use as needed.
Brown Sugar Kitchen
2534 Mandela Parkway
Oakland, CA 94607-1727
Phone: (510) 839-7685
To learn more about Tanya Holland, visit tanyaholland.com
>> Buy this book on Amazon: New Soul Cooking: Updating a Cuisine Rich in Flavor and Tradition