Walnut Creek rape suspect arraigned


Antonio Andre Mouton, 22, has been charged with one count of forcible rape, two counts of attempted forcible rape and three counts of residential burglary. He also faces enhancements for allegedly assaulting multiple victims.

If convicted, he could face a maximum sentence of 25 years to life in prison, according to Deputy District Attorney Jon Yamaguchi.

Mouton did not enter a plea to the charges today and was referred to the public defender's office for representation.

The three attacks happened at Park Regency Apartments in the 3100 block of Oak Road. Mouton's mother lives near the apartment complex, according to members of his family.

The first attack happened on June 30 when Mouton allegedly knocked on the victim's door and asked her for a glass of water. While the victim was getting him some water, the man entered the apartment and covered the victim's mouth with his hand, sheriff's spokesman Jimmy Lee said.

The victim struggled, pushed the suspect away and screamed, which alerted her boyfriend. The man fled before sheriff's deputies arrived.

The second attack happened on July 6 when Mouton allegedly entered the victim's apartment through an unlocked front door and raped her.

The most recent attack happened at about 8:35 a.m. Tuesday.

The victim, a 25-year-old woman, was asleep when Mouton allegedly entered her apartment. She woke up when he allegedly put his hand over her mouth and threatened her, Lee said.

The victim broke free and sprayed her attacker with pepper spray, and he fled.

The victim's front door was reportedly locked at the time, and police do not know how the man got into the apartment. Investigators said there was no sign of forced entry.

Sheriff's deputies identified Mouton as the suspect after the third attack on Tuesday and eventually convinced him to turn himself in at the Pittsburg/Bay Point BART station that evening.

Yamaguchi said outside the courthouse today that Mouton's DNA was consistent with DNA collected from one of the victims.

Yamaguchi confirmed that Mouton has a twin brother, Antwan Mouton, and goes by the nickname "Twin," but he said the twin was in prison when the attacks happened.

Members of Mouton's family said today that they believe he is innocent.

"He's a good person, lovable, happy, very energetic," said Mouton's girlfriend, who asked that her name not be published.

"He's a mamma's boy, most importantly," another family member said. She said Mouton was well liked in the community.

His girlfriend said he had just started a job at Wal-Mart in Union City and had been "on the right track" when he was arrested.

Mouton's girlfriend also said Mouton told her this morning that he has been mistreated in jail.

She claimed that deputies forced him to sit in a room naked for 10 hours and had thrown water on him and beat him up.

Lee, however, said there was "absolutely no truth whatsoever" to that allegation.

Mouton is scheduled to return to court Aug. 26 to be assigned an attorney and enter a plea. His bail is currently set at $12.45 million.

Copyright © 2023 KGO-TV. All Rights Reserved.