Firefighters from the Pinole Fire Department and the Rodeo-Hercules and Contra Costa County fire protection districts responded to a house fire at 1083 Alberdan Circle at 6:49 p.m.
The fire, which appears to have started in the kitchen of the two-story home, had crept through the ceiling and onto the roof as firefighters arrived, fire officials said.
The blaze was extinguished after a large portion of the ceiling was removed, and most of the house was saved, officials said.
The residents were able to exit the home before fire crews arrived. The five occupants were displaced and will be staying with family members.
No one was injured in the fire, which caused about $10,000 in damage, fire officials estimated.