200-pound pet pig saved from house fire


The one-alarm fire was reported around 9:30 p.m. in the 800 block of South 46th Street, Battalion Chief Merlin Turner said.

When firefighters arrived, the woman who lives in the house was already outside but her 200-pound pig was still in the home, Turner said.

Crews were able to get inside and remove the pot-bellied pet, who was unscathed, Turner said.

Firefighters controlled the blaze by 10 p.m. and had it extinguished a short time later, he said.

The fire caused about $70,000 in damage, mostly to the back of the house, and left the home uninhabitable, Turner said.

No injuries were reported.

The American Red Cross was called to assist the resident and her brother, who lives with her, Turner said.

Copyright © 2023 KGO-TV. All Rights Reserved.