Police searching for suspect in San Jose homicide

SAN JOSE, Calif.

It all started Friday morning with a 911 hang-up call, then the discovery of the woman's body at a home in the 6100 block of Evangeline Drive. But it took police more than two hours to get to that body.

San Jose police say 911 hang-up calls are common, although they haven't been able to provide ABC7 News with any specific numbers. Police say that in this particular situation there was no noise or communication from the caller on the other end, and that the hang-up happened quickly.

At 5:38 a.m. there was a 911 hang-up call from a home on Evangeline Drive. The communications center tried to call back but there was no answer. Officers in the field had their hands full with other higher priority calls.

"They were responding to a rash of auto thefts that were in progress where the vehicles, a couple of those vehicles, had crashed into other vehicles," said SJPD Lt. Rob Millard. "So they had to respond to make sure nobody was hurt in those accidents."

When there was a shift change and more officers available, San Jose police went to the home directly to follow up. It was an hour and 15 minutes after the initial hang-up. Ultimately, they found a woman's body in the entryway.

"You see on TV that people will say, 'I can't believe it's our street,' and that's exactly how we are reacting," said neighbor Judy Hill. "We are a very tight-knit community on this street."

Police say even after they arrived and noticed something suspicious they had to wait for animal control to take away two barking dogs. By then it was 8 a.m. -- roughly two hours and 20 minutes after the 911 hang-up.

Neighbors say they often saw the homeowners, especially the woman walking the dogs, "I don't think I ever met them," said neighbor Jim Skorey. "I just saw them walking dogs back and forth quite a bit, that's about it."

Investigators began processing the crime scene and looking for evidence as soon as they obtained a search warrant. They say proper procedure was followed in handling the 911 hang-up call, but add the department is short staffed.

"I think if we had more resources available at the time we certainly could have addressed it in a more timely manner, absolutely," Millard said.

Neighbors have built a makeshift memorial outside the home on Friday night.

The couples' nephew, 28-year-old Brandon Harper, was raised by them since he was a toddler. He gave us some insight into the couple's relationship.

"They'd been together for 27 years and [had] a happy marriage," said Harper.

Until recently, Harper says his own bouts with the law and financial problems between the couple caused friction in the house. It forced Harper to move out.

"My aunt had her problems, my uncle had his problems. People accuse each other and there's more problems. She just didn't deserve to be killed," said Harper.

Harper says his uncle is soft spoken, but he's a black belt in several martial arts, and there have been two physical confrontations. Once between the two of them at home, and once with Harper's father who has never cared for harper or his siblings.

Wang: Why did he beat up your dad?
Harper: To teach him a lesson.
Wang: About what?
Harper: To take care of your kids. Why should I be taking care of you kids?

Neighbors say the police have been to the house several times for problems with Harper and problems between his uncle and aunt.

Police believe Nosenzo fled in a gray 2006 Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck with the license plate #8L70015. He is currently wanted on suspicion of homicide, and his whereabouts are unknown. The circumstances and motive surrounding the homicide remain under investigation. No other details are being released.

This killing is the city's 41st homicide, which surpasses the total for all of last year.

Copyright © 2023 KGO-TV. All Rights Reserved.