Jaequon Santos called 911 when his sister began choking on a grape. This week he received a commendation from the South Pasadena Police Department.
"Well I just knew to give them the address and what was going on and they would be right there as I gave them the address," Jaequon said.
Rescuers say 3-year-old Yalaena is alive thanks to a coordinated effort that started with Jaequon's call.
Paramedics say the incident is a reminder that grapes and hot dogs pose a major choking hazard for young children and the value for everyone to learn CPR.