The City of South San Francisco organized a food drive at Mills Montessori School to feed hungry families within the city.
City leaders partnered with Second Harvest of Silicon Valley and HOPE Ministries to make the drive-thru food distribution event possible.
RELATED: 'Unprecedented surge': Alameda County Food Bank says need for assistance exploding amid COVID-19 pandemic
Enough food to last 750 families for two weeks was prepared for the drive. The mayor of the city says he wishes he could help even more.
"You don't realize how many people are in need until you see lines like this," said longtime South San Francisco Mayor Richard Garbarino. "We know you're suffering. We are in empathy with you and we're doing what we can do to help you out."
RELATED: Coronavirus: Catholic Charities opens additional food sites to meet growing need in South Bay
Residents in his city, out of work and down on their luck, appreciate the help.
"It's really helpful because you know right now we are not working and we are not getting any kind of help," said resident Alex Castillo. "And this for all of the communities, sincerely, it is very helpful."
South San Francisco will hold four more food distribution events in months of May and June. Free food can be picked up from 10 a.m. - 12 noon on the second and fourth Fridays in May and June at Mills Montessori School.
The school is located at 1400 Hillside Blvd., South San Francisco.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US,around the world
- Coronavirus data: See how the curve of COVID-19 cases is bending in each Bay Area county
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: ABC7's interactive town hall 'Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation'
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Coronavirus and the new normal of livingin the San Francisco-Bay Area -- COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour goes virtual as people try to be sociable while social distancing during COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Here's why you should practice 'social distancing'
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during the coronavirus shelter-in-place
- ABC7's drive around San Francisco shows empty streets, businesses shuttered
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19