Children's boutique and gift shop Mudpie is a longtime family run business. Manager Sarah Perliss says the brick and mortar store had to quickly pivot to online and curbside options in light of COVID-19.
RELATED: San Francisco attorney files several lawsuits against Gov. Newsom's shelter-in-place order
"It's impacted us drastically the sales are nothing like what our daily sales were," said Perliss.
Perliss says she's trying to stay positive.
"It's my livelihood, it's a very creative outlet and it's my passion," she explained. According to a class action lawsuit, Mudpie purchased comprehensive commercial liability and property insurance from Travelers to insure against risks the business might face.
Perliss filed a claim with Travelers for the interruption to her business, but it was denied.
A Travelers spokesperson tells ABC7 News it is committed to paying covered claims, but cannot pay for losses a policy expressly excludes.
RELATED: Coronavirus: Small business owners file lawsuit against Gov. Newsom, LA Mayor Garcetti, other officials over COVID-19 closures
Writing in an emailed statement, spokesperson said "In our standard commercial property policies that include business interruption coverage, we have very specific exclusions stating that losses resulting from a virus or bacteria are not covered."
Amy Zeman is Perliss' attorney.
"We fundamentally disagree that that exclusion applies. The business interruption here is occurring due to the government shutdown orders," said Zeman.
Zeman says she is hearing from small businesses across the country who are being impacted by the shutdowns.
Given that litigation like this could take a while, she recognizes some businesses may have to permanently close in the meantime.
RELATED: Coronavirus Impact: Some private practices, clinics consider closing over financial pressures amid pandemic, survey says
It's an outcome Perliss doesn't want to consider.
"I would just like to see the insurance company step up and do what's right," she said.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- When will the San Francisco Bay Area reopen? Track progress on 6 key metrics to reopening here
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- INTERACTIVE TIMELINE: How close was CA to becoming a NY-level crisis?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- How California's COVID-19 cases stack up against other hot spot states
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on Asian American community
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on African American community
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on Latino community
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions