Juan Desmarais, owner of Primo's Barbershop, reopened his business in May. At the time, barbershops were not allowed to reopen because of COVID-19 pandemic restrictions.
"I'm not trying to make money by staying open," Desmarais said. "I'm trying to provide for my family. I'm trying to allow my barbers to provide for their families."
RELATED: Northern CA barber, hair salon owner to reopen business despite COVID-19 shelter-in-place
Now Desmarais is facing the consequences. He received a cease and desist order on Monday with photos documenting his defiance.
Desmarais said he will go to court to contest the order.
"I'm trying to show the American people an example of how to not live in fear and to stand their ground," he said.
If he loses, Desmarais said he will go to his customers' homes to cut their hair.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here. Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- Watch list: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- MAP: Everything that's open, forced to close in Bay Area
- Everything to know about CA's confusing reopening plan, summer shutdown and what comes next
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Experts compare face shield vs. face mask effectiveness
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic