SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Just when you think you've got this mask wearing business down pat, Gov. Gavin Newsom hits you with a curveball.
The governor's office tweeted out a video PSA Tuesday with five common mask-wearing mistakes.
RELATED: These California cities will fine you for not wearing a mask or face covering
The first mistake highlighted is one I'm willing to bet most people are making: touching the front of your mask or face covering.
According to the PSA, doing so can contaminate the surface with your dirty hands. Adjusting the mask around your face can also let germs in.
Once you start paying attention, you may notice how often you breach this proper mask-wearing protocol. (Remember when they told us to stop touching our faces in March?)
RELATED: These Bay Area counties allow social bubbles and small gatherings
Honestly, I'm pretty guilty when it comes to mistakes No. 2 and 3. Sorry to disappoint you, governor!
Remember, wearing a mask in public places where you're unable to stay 6 feet away from others in California is required by law. Some cities, like San Francisco and Santa Cruz, have even stricter requirements, requiring you to wear a mask anytime you're outside the home unless medically exempt.
See the full mask-wearing PSA in the video player at the top of this story.
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the story in a new window
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- Watch list: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- MAP: Everything that's open, forced to close in Bay Area
- Everything to know about CA's confusing reopening plan, summer shutdown and what comes next
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Experts compare face shield vs. face mask effectiveness
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic