Sheriff Tom Boseko with the Shasta County Sheriff's Office emphasized the importance of evacuation.
"When they choose to stay behind they're not only choosing to place themselves and their families in danger, but they're playing firefighters and emergency personel in danger."
Friends and family of a great-grandmother and two great-grandchildren who died in the fire that engulfed their home along Quartz Hill Road are angry.
"I feel like the evacuation could have been handled far better there could have been a much more cautious route taken. I feel like everyone's life would have been saved." said Jason Decker, a close family friend of the deceased.
The sheriff addressed those concerns today.
RELATED: Firefighters expect containment to increase as Carr Fire grows to nearly 90,000 acres
"We are looking into if they were notified there, however it's important if there's a fire danger they can evacuate any time they wish. They don't have to wait for the evacuation notice."
For some of the 39,000 who have evacuated their homes and sought emergency shelter, simple things they once took for granted seem like a distant memory. The Red Cross opened two new shelters Sunday, bringing their total to 5 in the county. Many at the largest location at Shasta College are washing clothes in sinks with bar soap, and eating from paper plates and donated bagged potato chips.
About 600 people call Shasta College home now, like Elainor Colleen Hooper and her husband are trying to get used to the new normal.
"I miss taking a shower, shampooing my hair. I can't wear any clean clothes. It'll take awhile. To get into a routine."
But perhaps one of the most poignant examples of selflessness to come from the Carr Fire: The deputy who lost his home early Thursday morning.
He didn't want to be identified and take attention away from the people he serves who need help more. While his home, about 15 minutes west of the Redding town center is completely leveled, the brave hero soldiers on, helping others, keeping his community safe.
- Ashby Road & Lake Blvd
- Beltline at Oasis
- Benton & Quartz Hill Road
- Buckhorn Summit at SR 299 (Eastbound) Buenaventura at Keswick
- Buenventura & Hwy 299
- Caterpillar at Market
- Clear Creek Road & Cloverdale Lane Hwy 299 at Buckhorn Summit
- Elk Dr at Carnelian
- Eureka Way at Court Street
- Gas Point at Clear Creek Rd
- Gas Point Road and Foster Road
- Happy Valley Trail and Hawthorn Road
- Hwy 299 at Buckhorn Summit
- Iron Mountain Rd at SR 299
- Keswick Dam Boulevard at Keswick Dam Facility
- Keswick Dam Road & Quartz Hill Road
- Lake at Keswick
- Lake at Oasis
- Lake at Quartz Hill
- Lower Springs Rd at Swasey Drive
- Market at Lake
- North Market South of Lake
- North Point at Redwood
- Oasis Road & Lake Blvd
- Placer at Buenaventura
- Placer at Mule Town
- Plantina Road and Rainbow Lake Road Plantina Road and Placer Road Planting Road & Gas Point Road Railroad at Buenaventura
- Ridge Lane at SR 299
- Riviera at Howard
- SR 299 from Buenaventura Boulevard to Buckhorn Summit
- SR-273 at Bonnyville
- SR-273 at Branstetter
- SR-273 at Breslauer
- SR-273 at Clear Creek
- SR-273 at Kenyon
- SR-273 at Westside Rd
- Sway Drive & Placer Road
- Texas Springs at Placer
- Texas Springs Road & Honeybee Road
- Crosspointe Community Church - 2960 Hartnell Avenue, Redding, CA, 96002
- Simpson University - 2211 College View Dr, Redding, CA, 96003
- Trinity High School - 321 Victory Lane, Weaverville, CA, 96093
- Foothill High School - 11555 Old Oregon Trail, Redding, CA, 96003
Shasta Community College has reached its maximum capacity.
- Large Animal - Redding Rodeo Grounds 715 Auditorium Drive Redding, Ca.
- Small Animal - Haven Humane 9417 East Side Drive Redding, Ca.
Click here for the latest information from Cal Fire on the incident, including updated evacuation information.
Get the latest on the Carr Fire here and the latest on wildfires across California here.
RELATED WILDFIRE STORIES & VIDEOS:
- MAPS: Wildfires burning across California
- PHOTOS: Massive Carr Fire tears through Shasta County
- VIDEO: Drive through Carr Fire near Redding reveals apocalyptic scenes
- VIDEO: Firefighters get brief rest in neighbor's yard during 'apocalyptic' Carr Fire in Shasta County
- VIDEO: New look at destruction from Carr Fire in Redding
- Most destructive California wildfires in history
- How to prepare for a wildfire evacuation
- PG&E may cut electricity during high fire danger, are you prepared?
- The difference between containing and controlling a wildfire
- These aircraft are on the front lines of the fight against California wildfires
- Wildfire masks: How to best protect yourself from smoke during a fire
- How wildfire smoke can impact your health
- How to sign up for emergency alerts where you live
- Surviving a long-term power outage
- Safety tips to remember when returning home after wildfire
- DIY: How to make a pet carrier in case of emergency
- How to prepare your pets in case of disaster