There's a growing emphasis on the Trinity County side of the Carr Fire now that flames have reached over the county line.
Since no homes appear to be threatened by the flames on the Trinity-Shasta County line, firefighters are letting it burn.
But that's not true a few miles away.
"They're afraid the little town of Lewiston is going to burn," said Ron Purl, who retired to Lewiston from Livermore a few years back. He is one of the Trinity County evacuees who check a map outside the local grocery store for daily updates on the fire, updates he says he can't get from fire department websites.
"As far as the updates on anything online, everything is from Shasta County, not Trinity County," he said. "I'm really scared of my house getting burned."
LIST: People missing in Shasta County's Carr Fire
The map has become a sort of town square for Lewiston folks to share what they know. And not far away in the parking lot of a CVS pharmacy, a little enclave of travel trailers has sprung up, filled with people who had to flee Lewiston over the weekend and rough it.
"No showers, no electricity, no nothing," said one evacuee.
Late Tuesday afternoon, Cal Fire and other emergency agencies held a community meeting to update folks on the firefighting effort.
Officials say their number one priority is getting people home.
But there is no timetable for that, and weary firefighters are doing their best. But evacuee Edith and thousands like her have one wish, "I just want to go home."
More than that, she hopes there's still a home to go home to.
In response to the devastating wildfires in Shasta County, Tri Counties Bank has created a verified GoFundMe campaign to help those impacted by the fires. Click here if you'd like to help.
Get the latest on the Carr Fire here, the Complex Fire here and the latest on wildfires across California here.
RELATED WILDFIRE STORIES & VIDEOS:
- LIST: People missing in Shasta County's Carr Fire
- MAPS: Wildfires burning across California
- The latest evacuation orders for Shasta County's Carr Fire, Mendocino County's Complex Fire
- PHOTOS: Massive Carr Fire tears through Shasta County
- How to help Carr Fire victims in Redding and Shasta County, California
- Photos from the wildfires across California
- VIDEO: What it's like to fly over the Carr Fire in a Calif. National Guard plane
- VIDEO: Drive through Carr Fire near Redding reveals apocalyptic scenes
- VIDEO: Firefighters get brief rest in neighbor's yard during 'apocalyptic' Carr Fire in Shasta County
- VIDEO: New look at destruction from Carr Fire in Redding
- Most destructive California wildfires in history
- How to prepare for a wildfire evacuation
- PG&E may cut electricity during high fire danger, are you prepared?
- The difference between containing and controlling a wildfire
- These aircraft are on the front lines of the fight against California wildfires
- Wildfire masks: How to best protect yourself from smoke during a fire
- How wildfire smoke can impact your health
- How to sign up for emergency alerts where you live
- Surviving a long-term power outage
- Safety tips to remember when returning home after wildfire
- DIY: How to make a pet carrier in case of emergency
- How to prepare your pets in case of disaster