California's new attorney general was there with a commitment to stand with the community.
RELATED: 11-year-old, 17-year-old arrested in attack, robbery of older Asian man in San Leandro
Organizers say they wanted to celebrate the AAPI community. Pastor Carl Pascual says he and his family were there for that.
"We're standing out here to say we don't want to be afraid, we don't want to worry about who we are, we want to be proud of who we are," said Pascual.
But many in the AAPI community are still worried and afraid.
"Every day's a nightmare, in Oakland people getting robbed and beat up," said Barry Szeto.
VIDEO: 80-year-old Asian man attacked in San Leandro driveway
A recent attack in San Leandro, caught on a neighbor's security camera shows an 80-year-old Asian man knocked to the ground, while one teen attackers is heard laughing.
In San Leandro alone, police say crimes against the AAPI community were up 300 percent from 2019 to 2020.
"As a department, we're not going to tolerate any hate-related crimes here, said acting San Leandro Police Chief Luis Torres.
Many in the AAPI community are looking to California's new attorney general to lead on fighting hate crimes.
RELATED: 2 older Asian women stabbed in broad daylight while waiting for bus in downtown SF
"We have seen members of the AAPI community yelled at, spit at and punched in the face," said Bonta.
Bonta says he's prioritizing protecting AAPI individuals from crime.
"We need to make sure, those who commit hate crimes are held accountable, we're investigating hate crimes as such. To the AAPI community I say, I see you, I value you, I am you," Bonta said.
The community says it will keep holding rallies calling out hate, to end the violence.
"So our legislators need to do more, our work places need to do more, but so do we," said Xouhoa Bowen, CEO Community Impact Lab.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Bay Area Asian Americans share powerful, painful memories of hate
- 83-year-old Asian man describes debilitating SF attack, warns people 'to be careful'
- 'Go back to China': Racist rant suspect ID'd as daughter of late NY senator
- Asian American victim considers moving out of state after brutal attack in SF
- EXCLUSIVE: 75-year-old Asian man warned about increase in attacks days before murder in Oakland
- Daniel Dae Kim, members of Congress to testify on discrimination, violence against Asian Americans
- Asian grandma knocked unconscious in unprovoked attack in NY
- Family outraged over SF DA's description of 84-year-old Asian man's suspected killer
- Nearly 3,800 anti-Asian hate incidents reported across US since March 2020, group says
- 'This is horrific': SFPD to step up patrols amid string of violent attacks on Asian Americans
- Daniel Wu, W. Kamau Bell discuss shocking crimes against Asian Americans
- Santa Cruz Warriors guard Jeremy Lin comments on racial slur directed at him
- #StandForAsians rally draws hundreds in San Mateo with 7th grader leading the charge
- Actors Daniel Dae Kim, Daniel Wu discuss violent crimes against Asian Americans in Bay Area
- Police investigating after Asian man stabbed in back in NYC's Chinatown
- Burma Superstar offers $5,000 reward as ABC7 receives reports of additional attacks on Asian Americans
- EXCLUSIVE: Former Bay Area gang member arrested after threatening to kill Asians online
- 'We're on alert': Volunteers arm Oakland Chinatown business owners with air horns for safety
- Arrest in NYC assault on Chinese woman after Olivia Munn called for public's help
- Hundreds of people are volunteering to escort elderly Asian Americans to help keep them safe
- Surge in racism against Asian Americans spurs calls for change
- Oakland police chief visits Chinatown shops, emphasizes need for 'greater presence' after attacks, crime