PLEASANT HILL, Calif. -- A woman suffered minor burns and is in serious condition following a one-alarm apartment fire in Pleasant Hill this afternoon, a fire official said.
Firefighters responded to a report of the fire in the 2100 block of Geary Road shortly after 4 p.m., Contra Costa County Fire Protection District Fire Marshal Robert Marshall said.
A second alarm response was called for but was quickly canceled, according to a dispatcher.
The blaze at the two-story building was under control around 4:25 p.m., Marshall said.
Once fire crews knocked down the fire, they searched through the building and located the woman in a second floor unit involved in the blaze, according to Marshall.
She was transported to John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek for minor burns to her legs and smoke inhalation, he said.
The fire was caused by cooking left unattended on a kitchen stove inside the same unit where the woman was found, Marshall said.
The blaze primarily damaged the kitchen and burned walls around the stove of the involved unit, he said.
The fire also resulted in smoke damage throughout the apartment and water damage in the building, according to Marshall.
The fire caused an estimated $50,000 in damage, he said.
Woman in serious condition after fire burns Pleasant Hill apartment
More TOP STORIES News