Referring to her spouse's sudden and unexpected hospitalization she notes, "All we literally did that day was a fist bump, and he was gone."
He had to be rolled away as soon as possible.
"I didn't know what was happening," she told our sister station KTRK in Houston during an interview via Facetime.
COVID-19 DIARIES: Coronavirus and the new normal of living in the San Francisco-Bay Area
She hasn't seen him since Tuesday and has only talked to him by phone. Now, she and their children are in quarantine at home.
These past few days have been unimaginable as she wonders when and if she will see Emilian again.
"He's getting better, but, when they took him for a scan, the minute they took the oxygen off, it becomes very difficult to breathe," she said.
This past Friday they were celebrating their anniversary by having a small dinner with a couple friends. Then, over the weekend is when he started feeling ill.
He had a fever. Gagne says it's difficult to know who's sick and doesn't know it.
COVID-19 DIARIES: After 14-day quarantine, SF woman shares advice to anyone who may feel sick from COVID-19a
"We had people over and that was our mistake. We thought we were okay because we had less than 10 people. But no, don't have anyone in your house," she said.
It's especially distressing for Gagne, whose elderly mother is in a senior living home and she has not been able to see her in person either.
"It's crazy but we are all in this together," she said.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Coronavirus and the new normal of living in the San Francisco-Bay Area -- COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour goes virtual as people try to be sociable while social distancing during COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Here's why you should practice 'social distancing'
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during the coronavirus shelter-in-place
- ABC7's drive around San Francisco shows empty streets, businesses shuttered
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- Coronavirus in CA: Get resources and information about COVID-19
- Bay Area school closures related to coronavirus pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- How coronavirus compares with the flu
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Busting COVID-19 coronavirus myths: Facts from the Centers for Disease Control
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19