SACRAMENTO (KGO) -- As the number of coronavirus cases in California rapidly escalates, Gov. Gavin Newsom is calling for all bars and wineries in the state to close. Newsom is also asking all Californians age 65 and older and those with chronic conditions to isolate themselves at home.
"We are calling for the home isolation of all those 65 years or older and all those with chronic conditions," Newsom said.
He said all bars, wineries and brewpubs should be closed. Restaurants, he said, can remain open but to enforce social distancing, their permitted occupancy should be cut in half.
TAKE ACTION: Coronavirus crisis - How you can help
"We believe this is a nonessential function in our state," Newsom said, referring to the bars. "And we believe that is appropriate under the circumstances to move in that direction.
The state also will reduce current occupancy in restaurants by half to keep people farther away from each other, Newsom said at a news conference. It comes as the Illinois governor shut down all bars and restaurants and officials elsewhere said they were considering similar restrictions.
Newsom issued guidance last week to cancel or postpone gatherings large and small that have roiled California's economy, which is the fifth-largest in the world.
The number of coronavirus cases in California has increased to 335, a 14% increase from just the day before, Newsom said.
The governor said there have been six deaths in the state related to COVID-19.
He said state labs have conducted thousands of tests and are ramping up their ability to test at a faster basis.
Newsom's announcement comes as the number of cases in the Bay Area have increased to over 200.
Worldwide, the number of cases has increased to more than 162,000 with 6,000 deaths according to data maintained by Johns Hopkins University.
In the United States, the number of cases has exceeded 3,200, with 62 deaths.
Stay with ABC7 news for the latest on this developing story
Go here for the latest news, information and videos about the coronavirus.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- What to know about COVID-19 in Calif., how it's affecting San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus: Cancellations, suspensions and shortages related to the global virus outbreak
- How coronavirus compares with the flu
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Everything Americans need to know about coronavirus
- Coronavirus Prevention: How to properly wash your hands
- Busting COVID-19 coronavirus myths: Facts from the Centers for Disease Control
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Coronavirus Outbreak: 7 questions answered
- Is the new COVID-19 virus more 'deadly' than flu? Not exactly
- Coronavirus outbreak: Health expert shares tips for preparedness, emergency supply list to stay healthy
- Coronavirus: SF artist creates realistic-looking custom respirator masks that unlocks iPhones
- Coronavirus outbreak: SF doctor explains how to protect yourself, stay healthy
- Coronavirus: SF State educator addresses xenophobia in the Bay Area
- SF Mayor London Breed explains declaring state of emergency over coronavirus