SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Free COVID-19 testing is now available for residents living in San Francisco's Mission District, a neighborhood that's seen the highest number of novel coronavirus cases in the city. It's part of a study by UCSF to better understand how the virus is spread.
"This is not a nice time, a little germ is out there doing its thing and we've got to stop it," said Patricia Delgado.
Delgado is doing her part to help stop COVID-19. She just got tested and she'll never forget it.
Delgado lives in the Mission District where thousands of residents have registered to get tested at several outdoor testing sites, for free.
Two tests are available. One tests for COVID-19 and the other can detect COVID-19 antibodies.
The Mission District is showing some of the highest infection rates in the city.
"The deaths among our people are devastating especially among Latinos and African Americans," said Tracy Brown from the Latino Task Force for COVID-19.
The testing is part of a UCSF study to help determine how the virus spreads.
"This important study will help advance our understanding of the virus in latino communities and enable us to fight the virus more equitably across our city," said Dr. Kirsten Bibbins-Domingo from UCSF School of Medicine.
Sergio Velarde got tested, with the hope it brings a vaccine closer.
"Even if it's one piece of the puzzle, it helps the world how to deal with this," said Velarde.
Earlier this week, the entire town of Bolinas got tested. The results of that rural area, will be compared to urban numbers from the Mission to gain new understanding about the virus, how it moves and who it infects.
Individuals will get their test results within 72 hours. Results of the study will be made public next month.
Free testing will continue through Tuesday.
Learn more about the testing and UCSF study here.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- Coronavirus data: See how the curve of COVID-19 cases is bending in each Bay Area county
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: ABC7's interactive town hall 'Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation'
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Coronavirus and the new normal of living in the San Francisco-Bay Area -- COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour goes virtual as people try to be sociable while social distancing during COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Here's why you should practice 'social distancing'
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during the coronavirus shelter-in-place
- ABC7's drive around San Francisco shows empty streets, businesses shuttered
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19