But many have access to one too, possibly making it competitive to register.
"Are you patient?" we asked Marina Eisenzimmer of San Geronimo. "Not really," she says.
RELATED: California COVID-19 vaccine tracker: How the state is doing, when you can get a coronavirus vaccine
She is one of many qualified people hoping for a Walgreens or CVS appointment, who went on line and found a long list of stores fully booked on this first day. "I am frustrated. Everywhere else I have tried, the computers have crashed," she said.
That did not happen at CVS or Walgreens, though this may be a case where some clichés still have merit. "It's one of those things where the early bird catches the worm," said Logan Brookins outside a CVS pharmacy Rohnert Park.
RELATED: What to know as pharmacies gear up to administer 1 million COVID vaccines
How early? Some signed in to register long before the sun came as early as 4:30a.m. "I had two computers on and two iPads," said one woman. "Then, I made several appointments."
With more than 100 locations in California, CVS hopes to give 82,000 shots a week in this state. By all accounts, the process went smoothly.
WATCH: Q&A: Could COVID-19 variants alter vaccine effectiveness?
"I envisioned standing in line in a big complex and waiting in a car," said Lou DeBronis. "We arrived and were the first in line."
The lines we saw never exceeded three people which is good news for those still waiting.
"I'll try again tomorrow," said Marina Eiszenzimmer.
And, plenty of others.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- How to register for COVID-19 vaccine in every Bay Area county
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- CALCULATOR: Find out how many people may get a COVID-19 vaccine before you
- VIDEO: When will I get the COVID-19 vaccine? We explain who goes 1st
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- How are Chinatown businesses surviving? Here's what we found
- From COVID-19 to Black Lives Matter, these 13 people defined the Bay Area in 2020
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic