Family says Hoverboard exploded, caught fire inside home

If a toy Hoverboard is on the top of your child's wish list, you may want to think twice before you buy it.

A Louisiana family says their futuristic skateboard exploded inside their home, destroying an entire room.

Jessica Horne bought it from a company called "Fit Turbo" on

Her 12-year-old son Hayden only had it for one day before the fire erupted in his bedroom. "When it happened, I couldn't believe it. It was hard to put out because it was pretty big, it caught flames fast," he said.

Hoverboards run on lithium batteries and must be recharged.

Hayden said his was plugged in just moments before the sparks started flying.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission had eight reports of Hoverboard injuries in the last three months, but all were related to falls and not fires.

Meanwhile, Hayden's mom is planning to sue.
Copyright © 2021 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.