Fire Marshal Robert Marshall said the cause of the fire, which was reported around 2:30 a.m. in the 1900 block of North Third Street near Willow Pass Road, is still being investigated.
Firefighters arrived to find the home engulfed in flames with power lines that had dropped into the front yard, Marshall said. A gas meter that caught fire complicated the battle against the blaze, he said.
The fire was extinguished about an hour later, Marshall said.
An eviction had recently taken place at the home so no one was supposed to be there, but fire officials learned a number of squatters had apparently been living there, according to Marshall.
One of the several power lines that came down during fire . pic.twitter.com/dd9Y4lwDa2— Janet O (@JanetONews) December 30, 2015
Frame of structure otherwise total loss pic.twitter.com/0auVDEWUL8— Janet O (@JanetONews) December 30, 2015
Contra Costa fire said possibly squatters in the residence , no bodies found during initial search. pic.twitter.com/C7mKIOxGDX— Janet O (@JanetONews) December 30, 2015