But the good news is the closure is only temporary.
The Millbrae Pancake House will temporarily suspend all business operations after the close of business on Sunday.
RELATED: Outdoor dining is allowed everywhere in California, but is it safe?
The family-owned restaurant, at 1301 El Camino Real, has been open every day for the last 61 years, with the exception of being closed each year on Christmas Day.
The restaurant has remained open throughout all of 2020, despite the challenges faced by the restaurant industry as a result of the pandemic.
Restaurant management said Friday that its health and safety protocols have resulted in zero incidents of COVID-19 at the establishment.
The restaurant is designed to operate at full capacity.
RELATED: Bay Area restaurants concerned about COVID-19 reopening rollbacks
But, management said that its attempt to operate it at a reduced capacity proved inadequate.
The restaurant is shutting down as a spike in local COVID-19 cases pushes San Mateo County back into California's purple tier for activities.
With the temporary closure, 44 employees are being furloughed.
RELATED: San Francisco, San Mateo counties moving into restrictive purple tier amid case surge
The longest-tenured employee has been there nearly 54 years.
The restaurant will reopen in 2021.
An exact date was not announced.
Bay City News contributed to this report
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Want to get a COVID-19 test in time for the holidays? Here's what you need to know
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic