RELATED: Get the latest live updates on coronavirus crisis
By 11:00 a.m. officials issued 62 tests. By contrast, they issued 192 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Monday.
Monday they required that people have a fever of more than 100 degrees to get a test.
They decided that was too restrictive when they only issued 192 of the 360 tests they have for each day. Officials also realized the elderly have lower body temperatures, some people had taken Tylenol to ease their fever and some were cold from waiting outside in line for hours. Officials say they are making decision on the fly and learning as they go.
RELATED: Hayward opens free COVID-19 testing center, greeted by massive line
Elizabeth Wagner and her husband, who are in their 70's, were hoping for a test Tuesday. They did not have fever and have coughs and are very worried about COVID-19. They waited outside in line for 3 hours.
The test is available to anyone who meets new broadened test criteria, regardless of where they live or immigration status. Symptoms or conditions qualifying a member of the general public for testing are fever above 100 degrees or any of the following:
- Shortness of breath or other respiratory symptoms;
- Recent travel to Europe or Asia
- Recent exposure to confirmed or suspected coronavirus
- Other chronic diseases or conditions, such as blood disorders, kidney or liver disease, diabetes, heart, lung or neurological disease, and compromised immune system
- Over the age of 65
- Currently or recently pregnant; or homeless
No referral from a physician is required.
By 11:00am, Wagner and her husband had both been tested.
RELATED: Videos show how COVID-19 pandemic is impacting Bay Area
Patients can expect results in 6 to 24 hours. At this point, officials do not think they will be making that information public but will give it to the county health department.
The site is open everyday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. in front of Hayward's Fire Station #7 at 28270 Huntwood Avenue.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirusoutbreak in US, around the world
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Bay Area cancelations, closures related to COVID-19
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- Coronavirus in CA: Get resources and information about COVID-19
- Bay Area school closures related to coronavirus pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- How coronavirus compares with the flu
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Busting COVID-19 coronavirus myths: Facts from the Centers for Disease Control
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19