People like Carlos who thought it was a good idea.
"You gotta obey the law somehow and there are consequences if you don't," he said.
People like Britani can live with the new guideline.
"If it's required, I'll wear it but I'm not scared about what's going on." she said.
And people like Bonnie, say they'll only wear one when they have to.
RELATED: Coronavirus: Here are the Bay Area counties now requiring residents to wear face masks during COVID-19 pandemic
"When I'm with my mom and she's a little paranoid, I'll put the mask on, but usually I don't," she said.
Dr. Rohan Radhakrishna with Contra Costa County Health Services says that's one reason it's no longer a suggestion.
"Recommendations are good and we often start with those but at some point we need to make it the law," Dr. Radhakrishna.
Wednesday was the first day the guideline became law in the county.
But as a practical matter not much has changed.
Now authorities will have the power to write citations and issue fines of up to $1,000, but Dr. Radhakrishna says they probably won't - at least not right away.
"We're really asking the public to be good Samaritans and kindly educate their neighbors and for the pubic to comply," Radhakrishna said.
RELATED: Glasses fogging up because of your COVID-19 face mask? We're here to help
Under the order, anyone over the age of 12 must wear a mask. For those under 12, it's preferred but not mandatory.
Masks are discouraged for kids under the age of two because it may make it difficult to breathe.
Many businesses like grocery stores and pharmacies are now requiring customers to put on a mask before they enter.
Dr. Nasser AbouKhalil, the owner of Oak Grove Pharmacy, estimates that 90 percent of his customers obey the mask sign.
As for the other ten percent, he's hopeful they'll wear one next time.
"If they are not wearing a mask I ask them if they have seen the sign and I ask them hopefully next time they will have a mask," he said.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- Coronavirus data: See how the curve of COVID-19 cases is bending in each Bay Area county
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: ABC7's interactive town hall 'Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation'
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Coronavirus and the new normal of living in the San Francisco-Bay Area -- COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour goes virtual as people try to be sociable while social distancing during COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Here's why you should practice 'social distancing'
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during the coronavirus shelter-in-place
- ABC7's drive around San Francisco shows empty streets, businesses shuttered
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19