RELATED: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the San Francisco Bay Area?
Epidemiologist George Rutherford from UCSF told ABC7 News Anchor Kristen Sze that he predicts it will be about two years, based on how long it will take to vaccinate the roughly 40 million people who live in California.
"If you set up sites where you can do 50,000 vaccinations a day, you're going to need 800 of those to happen. So it's a formidable task and it's going to take months to get it done. Maybe 18 months. Vaccines are almost in a year from now."
When asked if he thinks COVID-19 antibodies can protect you from re-infection, he said that not everyone will have them when they recover.
WATCH LIVE WEEKDAYS AT 3PM: ABC7 special coverage of COVID-19 pandemic in Bay Area
"You know how with HIV, we measure antibodies and they don't do anything immunologically? It's the same kind of thing. Some people get good antibodies, some people get junk. A lot of people get stuff in between."
He says the good antibodies can help treat others and help them recover.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- INTERACTIVE TIMELINE: How close was CA to becoming a NY-level crisis?
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- How California's COVID-19 cases stack up against other hot spot states
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on Asian American community
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on African American community
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions